- August 16, 2020
- Posted by: admin
Community Infrastructure Upgrading and Storm Drainage in Kumasi
|Client:||Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly, Ghana|
|Services:||Feasibility Studies and Detailed engineering design|
|Period:||8/2007 to 7/2010|
The Government of the Republic of Ghana acting through the Kumasi Metropolitan Assembly contracted Louis Berger SAS / TRANSTECH Consult to undertake detailed engineering design, preparation of tender documents and construction supervision for the Community Infrastructure upgrading and Storm Drainage project in Kumasi.
The project was aimed at enhancing the living conditions of the selected low-income communities of the Metropolitan areas of the two cities. It was also aimed at improving the selected Aboabo natural drainage channel to mitigate flooding as part of the proposed second Urban Environmental Sanitation Project (UESP II) sponsored by the AfD to promote good urban sanitation and open up the selected low-income high-density communities in the city of Kumasi.
Baseline condition of the Aboabo Stream Channel
The project involved the upgrading of the infrastructure (20km of roads and drains, street/security lighting, public/school toilets and water supply) of four (4) communities and the Construction of the Aboabo Storm Drain (5.5km). The project was implemented in four (4) depressed localities in the Kumasi Metropolis, namely Ahinsan, Asokwa, Atonsu and Oforikrom/Anloga.
The services provided by the Consultant included:
- Survey of Project Affected Persons;
- Facilitation of Community Engagement;
- A Community Needs Assessment Study to prioritize the development and infrastructure needs of the selected communities;
- Socio-economic study of households within the beneficiary communities including gender assessment and mainstreaming.
- Preparation of the project Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Report;
- Detailed Design Studies including geo-technical investigations, traffic studies
- Design of infrastructure namely access roads, storm drain, public latrines and water supply systems
Proposed Aboabo Stream Channel